Watch again online!
Finale Friday 7E/4P
Rate your fave today!
Watch online now!
February 4th, 2011
The Black Eyed Peas are gearing up to perform at this Sunday’s Super Bowl. Though the seasoned performers have played every country and award show possible in the last five years, the Super Bowl is known for chewing performers up and spitting them out to the FCC. When the Peas take the stage in Texas this weekend they’ll need to be at the top of their game in order to avoid the wrath of the Super Bowl curse. Here are five handy tips to turn ‘Boos’ in ‘Yays’.
5. In 1993 Michael Jackson’s medley of Jam, Billie Jean, Heal The World and Black or White made that year’s Super Bowl one of the most watched events in television history. When doing press for your performance, do not make the following statement: “Our Super Bowl performance will be the best EVER.” It won’t. No one beats MJ. I don’t make the rules, I just remind people of them.
4. If you need to lip synch, lip synch. Yes, Fergie has some of the strongest vocals in pop music today. Yes, I think she can sing the tight, spandex pants off the Super Bowl. But I think we all remember Ashlee Simpson’s dismal failure of a performance at the 2005 Orange Bowl when her voice continued to crack and she was greeted by 50,000 booing fans. If you can’t bring your A-game, bring your tape player.
3. Rep the city you’re in. When the Rolling Stones performed at the 2006 Super Bowl the crowd went nuts for the rock gods, who entertained over 89 million viewers with Start Me Up, Rough Justice and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. Still, the band received criticism for not representing the traditional ‘Mowtown Sound’ of Detroit. With this year’s game playing out in Texas and the rumoured surprise performance by Slash, the G ‘n R guitar player and BEP singer Fergie should reunite and throw-down a serious hoe-down.
2. Outfits, outfits, outfits! You are what you wear and I think all the homes across North America would appreciate it if BEP front man Will.I.Am. left the terrifying black plastic mask he wore at the 2010 VMAs at home. Only two days left to plan your on-stage outfits and I’m happy to see BEP member apl.de.ap is taking his Super Bowl role seriously.
1. Keep your privates private. Does this seem impossible? It’s not. Just don’t let Justin Timberlake on stage with you.
Not only are we all anxiously awaiting the half time show, but of course the big draw for the Super Bowl is the commercials! Oh, and football. Check out an exclusive sneak peek of a commercial that will be airing during the Super Bowl.Tweet