Rate your fave today!
Watch May 23 8E/5P
Watch online now!
Vote now for Your Fave!
September 18th, 2008
Mario Paint was aces, remember? Before Rock Band, before Wii Sport, before Halo, there was Mario Paint. It was a glorified version of Windows Paint, and I spent hours making crude (and rude) animations, half-assed drawings and of course, terrible music on the composer. Then, sadly, I forgot about it.
Last week Kat sent me this link. It’s the Dr. Mario Fever song … composed in MARIO PAINT. It’s brilliant. But then, I saw the booming movement of YouTube videos dedicated to transforming real songs into tinny, midi-like nuggets of goodness. There are crappy versions. There are amazing versions. There’s every game console theme song imaginable (omg Koopa Troopa Beach!!!) And I, ever the hard worker, took on the excruciatingly difficult task of finding the best ones…
1. Thriller. This is astounding.
2. Coldplay’s Viva La Vida. This ain’t your mother’s midi file. (What does that even MEAN?)
3. Dragonforce’s Through The Fire And Flames. The opus formally known as the most difficult song on Guitar Hero III, now known as the most outrageous Mario Paint composition ever made. (Just for fun: the dog and cat version)
4. Three Days Grace’s Animal I Have Become. I’m most impressed by the full-length tracks that sound impressively similar to the original, a la this one.
5. Haddaway’s What Is Love. Get yer noddin’ head ready.
6. Rick Astley’s Never Gonna Give You Up. You’ve been PAINT ROLL’D!!!
7. Still Alive, from Portal. Here’s the tooth: I don’t get this song or concept or what the game Portal is, but every dude I know is crazy about it. And I know this is a spot-on version of it, too.
8. Kenny Loggins’ Danger Zone. TOP GUN YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
9. The Meow Mix Theme. This will make you crazy. It makes me laugh. Therefore, I am crazy.Tweet