What a good looking day it is shaping up to be here at MuchMusic! Today on MOD, Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum will be stopping by to discuss their new movie together, Dear John. The film, which opens February 5, is based on the Nicholas Sparks book by the same name.
Spark’s is known for writing sappy love stories that often involve a little cheesiness. Most of his books and films end in a twist, so I’ll try to not give anything away below. Let’s have a look at other Sparks’ books that have made it into film, shall we? Bring on the cheddar!
1. The Last Song: The film will be released later this year and stars Miley Cyrus and her real-life boyfriend, Aussie actor Liam Hemsworth. Cyrus’s character, Ronnie, is sent from New York by her mother to spend the summer with her father at his beach house in Georgia. It is here that she falls for a local boy, played by Hemsworth.
2. Dear John: Amanda Seyfried plays a college student that is spending her summer in a beach town working for Habitat for Humanity. Seyfried meets Channing Tatum’s character, John, a soldier that is on leave from the US Army, while they are on the beach. The two characters fall in love and continue their relationship through letters when John returns overseas to serve.
3. Nights in Rodanthe: While tending to a friend’s inn for a weekend, Diane Lane’s character finds herself falling in love with a guest of the inn, played by Richard Gere. Both characters are at crossroads in their lives and find comfort in one another.
4. The Notebook: This is the most well known of all of Sparks’ films and made Rachael McAdams and Ryan Gosling household names. The movie is set in the 1940s and stars McAdams as Allie, a rich heiress who falls in love with Gosling, a poor but charismatic young man. The two spend the summer together, only to be separated by Allie’s disapproving parents. They both try to move on with their lives, only to see each other years’ later right before Allie is to marry another man.
5. A Walk to Remember: Probably the biggest tear-jerker on the list. After playing a prank on a fellow student ends in disaster, Shane West’s character is forced to attend afterschool activities, including performing in the school play. Also acting in the play is the Pastor’s daughter, played by Mandy Moore. Against all odds, the two fall in love, only to have Moore’s character reveal a secret that she has been hiding, which threatens their relationship. Little known fact: Adam Shankman, a resident judge on So You Think You Can Dance, directed the film.
6. Message in a Bottle: Robin Wright Penn plays a journalist who finds a love letter washed to shore on a beach one day, and tracks down the letters author. Penn finds Kevin Costner, the writer of the love letter, and the two become friends, only to have their relationship rocked when Costner finds out that Penn has his letters. This was the first of Sparks’ books to be adapted to film.
What’s your favourite Sparks film? Will you see Dear John and The Last Song?
MuchMusic is Canada's No. 1 destination for music videos, live performances and interviews with today's hottest celebrities; plus music downloads, ringtones, artist profiles, concert listings & music countdown.