Check it out now!
Get your tickets now!
August 12th, 2010
1. Pixie Lott- I first heard of this blonde beauty by her cover of One Republic’s “Apologize” and immediately I surfed the net for more covers including The Strokes’ “Last Night,” Kings of Leon’s “Use Somebody,” Lady Gaga’s “Poker Face” and Stevie Wonder’s “Isn’t She Lovely.” I think she was made to be my best friend because all three of those are on a playlist of mine entitled “Great Tunes by Great People.” She’s an adorable 19-year-old from London, England who will be breaking into the North American airwaves soon. Look forward to her future.
Check out the rest of my picks after the jump.
2. Ellie Goulding- Voice of an angel…but actually. Her soft, angelic and childlike sound is one I couldn’t help but immediately falling in love with her. One of my best friends first played me her track “Starry Eyed” which has been remixed by some of the top DJ’s from around the world. She proves to hold her own as she covers many great songs like as Bon Iver’s “Wolves,” Robyn’s “Be Mine f. Erik Hassle,” and The Temper Trap’s “Sweet Disposition.” Her album is great for background music with a nice mix of upbeat pop and melodic wind down tunes. My favourite Ellie song is “The Writer.” Not only are the lyrics beautiful but the song draws so many images in my mind as I listen.
Fun fact: 3oh!3 recently covered her track “Guns and Horses” on BBC Radio 1.
3. VV Brown- I have been tooting VV Brown’s horn for a while now. Okay that sounds bad but you get it right? I fell in love with her song, “Shark in the Water” from the first time I heard it and ever since then I have admired her from afar. Not only does her voice sooth my soul, her style is incredibly original and fabulous. Beyoncé copied her hair-do. If I were to place a bet, I feel like her and Janelle Monaé would be friends from their quirky fashion sense and soul influences. Just sayin’. A few of my favourite VV Brown songs are “Leave,” “Crying Blood” and “Shark in the Water.”
Fun Fact: Degrassi recently made a music video to her song “Shark in the Water”. Check it out below.
4. Lissie- If someone were to play a song by Lissie and tell me it were straight out of the 60s/70s singer/songwriter era, I wouldn’t doubt them for a minute. Picture a present day Stevie Nicks who is youthful, blonde and freckled and wears lots plaid. She recently paired up with Miss. Ellie Goulding on stage to perform a few duets, YouTube them! Some of my favourite of her covers include, Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance,” Metallica’s “Nothing Else Matters,” and Kid Cudi’s “Pursuit of Happiness.” A couple of my favourite Lissie songs are “Everywhere I Go” and “When I’m Alone.”
5. Neon Hitch- Where do I begin… Neon Hitch has captured my ears and won’t let go. Although she has yet to release an album or single, she has pretty stellar music credentials. She has worked with producer Benny Blanco (Katy Perry, 3oh!3, Ke$ha, Justin Bieber). You must read her biography because that alone gives her a huge “wow” factor in my books. I won’t spoil it for you. You must now take the time to get to know her and her sound on your own. She covered great tunes like Sia and Mike Posner’s “Cooler Than Me,” Ellie Goulding’s “What Starry Eyes Know,” Travie McCoy’s “Billionaire” and my personal favourite, Miike Snow’s “Burial.” My personal Neon Hitch song is “Black and Blues.”
Fun Fact: Her real name is Neon Hitch, her passport is proof. I recently interviewed her in Chicago at Lollapolooza and she is by far one of the sweetest and grateful girls I’ve ever met. Watch out world. You’ve seen Ke$ha. You’ve seen Lady Gaga. You’ve seen Katy Perry but you have yet to experience Neon…Tweet