Take our quiz!
Take our quiz!
July 22nd, 2014
Gossip Girl actress Blake Lively launched her non-lifestyle lifestyle site today, called Preserve. As I’m sure the young thespian is aware, people are just waiting to drink a big ole glass of haterade with her latest endeavor.
Lively has enlisted the help of artisans and writers to craft the visually appealing Preserve, which aims to find the story in all of us. At least, I think that’s the aim. I’m not sure Lively even knows for certain where she wants to take this.
Of course, Gwyneth Paltrow’s $90 white t-shirt-hocking GOOP is the first comparison that comes to mind when looking at Lively’s site. Both are stunning, blonde actresses who have enjoyed a very fortunate life in front of the camera. Thankfully, Preserve turned up the relatability factor. We actually kinda liked it.
Here’s what we learned:
- We spent a day on the site because you need to wait a day for the site to load. It’s a behemoth. From Explorer to Chrome to Mozilla to Safari, this site takes about five minutes to load.
- It’s more self-aware than we assumed it would be. In the About section, Preserve explains “We celebrate and indulge in the treasures both high and low that we feature on Preserve. We are aware that a lot of what we are selling is outlandish in a world where people are starving and have nowhere to sleep.” Well, fair enough. The site also boasts a number of charities it’s involved in and ways that readers can participate in their philanthropic endeavors.
- It admittedly doesn’t really have a clear focus. Is it about music, or art, or food, or travel, or fashion? Lively is adamant that Preserve isn’t a Lifestyle site, but eliminating that as a descriptor makes it seem unfocused. If it’s not ‘A’, then what is ‘B’?
- It’s heavily focused on New Orleans. The site proclaims this to be the ‘First Issue’ of Preserve, so maybe future issues will be about other cities in the US. It seems odd to us that this is never explained.
- The ‘US’ section begins the same way as Lisa Ling’s Our America documentary series. Time for a rewrite.
- For someone who is married to a Canadian, Blake Lively is heavily all-American. Like, alllllll American.
In conclusion, Preserve may not be making it to our Bookmark Menu just yet, but we’re willing to check back in a month to see what’s new.Tweet