Watch again online!
Finale Friday 7E/4P
Rate your fave today!
Watch online now!
October 12th, 2011
New Musical Express AKA NME has been a hot musical publication in the U.K. since the 1950s. And today apparently marks its 50th birthday. To celebrate, they’ve concocted a list of what they think are the best songs (or at least the songs that have meant the most to them) from 1996 onwards.
I will give them this for sure – the list isn’t biased to one genre. There’s a good representation of alternative, pop and urban music mixed throughout the entire 150 song line-up.
I’m not gonna retype the entire list, but I did jot down the top 20. Does the list turn your pages? Just keep in mind, if you were to ask 150 different people to come up with their best song lists, you’d have 150 different lists and 150 different number ones.
So to each his own. What songs would you place in a top 20 list of music that meant the most to you over the last 15 years?
20. Bloc Party – Banquet
19. Justice Vs. Simian – We Are Your Friends
18. Queens Of The Stone Age – No One Knows
17. Missy Elliot – Get Ur Freak On
16. Beyonce – Crazy In Love
15. MIA – Paper Planes
14. Foals – Spanish Sahara
13. Jay-Z & Alicia Keys – Empire State Of Mind
12. MGMT – Time To Pretend
11. Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor
10. The Libertines – Time For Heroes
9. The Verve – Bittersweet Symphony
8. Amy Winehouse – Rehab
7. Hot Chip – Over and Over
6. The White Stripes – Fell In Love With A Girl
5. The Killers – Mr. Brightside
4. The Strokes – Last Nite
3. Outkast – Hey Ya!
2. Arcade Fire – Rebellion (Lies)
1. Radiohead – Paranoid Android